Title: Breaking: 382,000 Death Toll in South Sudan War
Author: SudaneseOnline News
Date: 09-26-2018, 08:09 PM
08:09 PM September, 26 2018
SudaneseOnline News-Khartoum Sudan
Experts warn: Numbers of dead will continue to climb under flawed peace agreement
September 26, 2018 - The war in South Sudan has left at least 382,000 people dead, according a newly released State Department-funded study. Experts from the Enough Project and its investigative team The Sentry are available for comment today.
John Prendergast, Founding Director of the Enough Project and Co-Founder of The Sentry, said: "The world has struggled to respond to the enormity of South Sudan's crisis, and until now was dramatically underestimating how deadly this war has been. With the peace agreement that was signed earlier this month being so structurally flawed, it is likely this number will continue its inexorable climb until the root causes of South Sudan's violence are addressed."
Brian Adeba, Deputy Director of Policy at the Enough Project, said: "For far too long, the absence of a death toll sanitized the horrors of the war and minimized its drastic effects. This massive death toll reinforces the need to hold accountable both the direct perpetrators and the leaders responsible for the violence accountable, and to increase international pressure through network sanctions, anti-money laundering measures, and a strictly enforced arms embargo."
For media inquiries or interview requests, please contact: Greg Hittelman, Director of Communications, +1 310 717 0606, [email protected].
About THE ENOUGH PROJECT
The Enough Project supports peace and an end to mass atrocities in Africa’s deadliest conflict zones. Together with its investigative initiative The Sentry, Enough counters armed groups, violent kleptocratic regimes, and their commercial partners that are sustained and enriched by corruption, criminal activity, and the trafficking of natural resources. By helping to create consequences for the major perpetrators and facilitators of atrocities and corruption, Enough seeks to build leverage in support of peace and good governance. Enough conducts research in conflict zones, engages governments and the private sector on potential policy solutions, and mobilizes public campaigns focused on peace, human rights, and breaking the links between war and illicit profit. Learn more – and join us – at www.EnoughProject.org.
About THE SENTRY
The Sentry is composed of financial forensic investigators, policy analysts, and regional experts who follow the dirty money and build investigative cases focusing on the corrupt transnational networks most responsible for Africa’s deadliest conflicts. By creating a significant financial cost to these kleptocrats through network sanctions, anti-money laundering measures, prosecutions, and other tools, The Sentry aims to disrupt the profit incentives for mass atrocities and oppression, and creates new leverage in support of peace efforts and African frontline human rights defenders. The Sentry’s partner, the Enough Project, undertakes high-level advocacy with policy-makers around the world as well as wide-reaching education campaigns by mobilizing students, faith-based groups, celebrities, and others. Co-founded by George Clooney and John Prendergast, The Sentry is an initiative of Not On Our Watch (NOOW) and the Enough Project. The Sentry currently focuses its work in South Sudan, Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Somalia, and the Central African Republic.
In less than two years, The Sentry has created hard-hitting reports and converted extensive research into a large volume of dossiers on individuals and entities connected to grand corruption, violence, or serious human rights abuses. The investigative team has turned those dossiers over to government regulatory and law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and around the world, as well as to compliance officers at the world’s largest banks.
Learn more at www.TheSentry.org.