Labado: New Attack and Looting
This centre has received information that government militias attacked Labado area again yesterday, 17th May 2005, killing three civilians, wounding three others and looting 140 livestock.
The details of the civilians killed are as follows:
Alameen Sulieman Har
Sulieman Abaker Wadi
Ibrahim Issa El-Haq
Darfur Centre for Human Rights and development condemns this act of brutality against citizens of Darfur. We call on the United Nations to take decisive action to end his impunity to murder innocent civilians and call on it to send an adequate peacekeeping and civilian protection force to the area without delay.
We also urge the United Nations, African Union and the international community to:
• Expand the mandate of the African Union peace keeping forces to include the protection of civilians;
• Urgently pursue the possibility of sending additional peacekeepers to the area;
• Investigate allegations of continued attacks on civilians including allegations of torture;
• Continue to exert pressure on the Government of Sudan to comply with international resolutions and to come to a peaceful settlement;
• Guarantee respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms throughout the country in accordance with international human rights standards;
• Take action immediately to gather documentary evidence such that the perpetrators may be prosecuted by the International Criminal Court;
• Ensure that the Government of Sudan co-operates fully with the International Criminal Court. Impose sanctions on the Government of Sudan if it fails to do this.
• Ensure that such perpetrators are prosecuted in accordance with international norms and standards of accountability in the International Criminal Court;
• .Produce a realistic and workable plan to allow refugees to return to their homes. Ensure that safe areas are established that are effective and well patrolled.
We urge the Government of Sudan to respect the mandate of the international community and to:
• Guarantee the respect of human rights and fundamental freedoms, including the freedom of association throughout Sudan in accordance with international human rights standards;
• Honour its agreement to the UN General Secretary and the rebels; to immediately take decisive action to stop its militias from perpetrating further atrocities.
• Immediately cease its program of arbitrary detention, harassment and targeting of Dafurians both in Darfur and elsewhere in Sudan.
Please support the civilians of Darfur by sending an appeal to the following addresses:
His Excellency Lieutenant General Omar Hassan al-Bashir
President of the Republic of Sudan
PO Box 281, Khartoum, Sudan
Fax: + 249 183 783223
Mr. Ali Mohamed Osman Yassin
Minister of Justice and Attorney General
Ministry of Justice
Fax + 249 183 788941
Mr. Mustafa Osman Ismail
Minister of Foreign Affairs
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
PO Box 873, Khartoum, Sudan
Fax + 249 183 779383
Dr. Abdelmuneim Osman Mohamed Taha
Advisory Council for Human Rights
PO Box 302
Fax + 249 183 770883
His Excellency Mr. Mohamed Elhassan Ahmed Elhaj
Avenue Blanc 47
Fax: 022 731 26 56
Email: [email protected]
How to Contact Us
Darfur Centre for Human Rights and Development
P.O. Box 48299
London, W2 7YG
By phone in the U.K: 07786 984832 or 07930 691575
By phone in the USA: 001 267 992 2004
By e-mail: [email protected]
Darfur Centre for Human Rights and Development is an organization established in the U.K in 2004. If you have any questions about this or any other DCFHRD information, please contact the address shown.