'India bomb toll rises as Sudan student dies'
MUMBAI — A second Sudanese national has died from his injuries after a bomb ripped through a packed restaurant in western India earlier this month, taking the death toll to 16, police said Wednesday.
Anis Al-Fateh Suleman, 29, "succumbed to his injuries this morning in hospital," Inspector Rashmi Shukla, of Maharashtra state police, told AFP.
"The death toll is now 16, including five foreigners," she added.
Suleman was a student at a local college in Pune, about 100 kilometres (60 miles) southeast of Mumbai, where the blast happened on February 13.
The explosion, caused by a bomb left in an abandoned bag under a table at the popular German Bakery restaurant, came a day after India and Pakistan agreed to resume talks that were suspended after the 2008 Mumbai attacks.
A previously unknown Islamist outfit, which said it had splintered from a larger Pakistan-based group, claimed responsibility for the attack in a telephone call last week to the Indian English-language newspaper The Hindu.
The restaurant was a popular hangout with young Indians and foreign nationals and was near a religious retreat frequented by overseas visitors.
The other foreign victims came from Italy, Iran and Nepal.
Police last week detained four people for questioning but they have since been released, Shukla said.